Monday, October 18, 2010

Assisi, Italy. From prayer to prayer; from strength to strength...

This morning, I walked to San Rufino's and prayed. I was so encouraged and strengthened. I spent time in my usual routine of opening prayers (memorized from a prayer book), some of my own thoughts, then silence, then the Jesus prayer. I prayed for Tim Bond, the guy doing most of the preaching at home while I'm away. I prayed for the Wooten family. I prayed for Gram's family who will say goodbye to her at her funeral service this morning, when the sun moves around to that side of the earth. Then I meditated once more on Psalm One. (I have been continually drawn to this Psalm as I've prayed here in Assisi. My father had me memorize it when I was a boy, and that gift of his continues to pay dividends.)

After these prayers, I decided to go to Santa Chiara's church. The sun is shining brightly against the stone walkway--the sidewalks and streets where I step. At least it shines where it can between stone walls to my right and to my left. Ancient stone structures, many of them. A stiff breeze sifts my soul and I'm reminded of the prayers I've just prayed asking Holy Spirit to sift me of all but himself, his Father and God the Son.

And without warning, my heart erupts in joy. I'm in Assisi. I'm walking up streets and steps and down streets of steps which strengthen my body, as the time spent in prayer rebuilds my faith--my spirit. I am alive again, walking from prayer to prayer, from strength to strength.

I thank God for the LIlly Endowment and their unbelievable gift of this time and this place. I thank God for my congregation back home which applied for this grant, then took the step of allowing us this time.

I look into the light blue sky, with its lacy cloudy whisps bowing just beneath the sun's glory. I AM HERE. I am unworthy. I am so very grateful. And I am once more...ALIVE.

I can scarcely take in the Joy who meets me in this day. But I determine that in this new life, beginning here in Medieval Europe, I will never forsake him.

(Later today Shelly and I plan to re-visit San Damiano's church and convent just down the side of the mountain from Assisi. Perhaps she will post some pix at her blog. Stay tuned at http://www.michelehayes.wordpress.com.

I also want to offer, upon my return in mid December, to meet with any pastor, or church leadership team who might want to consider a sabbatical for the purpose of clergy renewal.)

1 comment:

  1. Very happy for ya 'Pastor D'. Gob bless ya! Dancing Dan the Bamboo Man!

    ReplyDelete