Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Reflections on our time in The Republic of Georgia

I have never before been to the Republic of Georgia. This former Soviet State was rarely on the radar of US Americans during the Soviet years. These people however, have suffered greatly for their independance...even fighting a war with Russia only two summers ago. And for me, that is when I became aware of their strength and the importance of their nation.

Last Wednesday, Shelly and I traveled to the capitol Tbilisi, and were reunited with our most beloved Georgian. Gvantsa was our exchange student daughter last year, and this year, we simply call her another daughter. (This with the gracious permision of her true mother and father.) We spent time with her dear mother Maia, my new good friend==her father Koba, and loving sister Qeti. We are ready to claim them all. In fact, we have. They are family.

It is impossible to overstate the hospitality and graciousness of these people. We were loved, fed, chauferred, cared for and shared with friends. In fact, I am simply amazed by the kindnesses of their neighbors, who greeted us with a kiss and brought food to our every meal. Love and generosity run deep in the hearts of this family and their entire nation.


During the past week, we witnessed three major refugee settlements, where some of the 220 to 240 thousand Georgians are now housed, having fled Russian occupied, yet Georgian territories. At one point we were told we were only a mile or so from occupying Russian troops.

We also were able to travel, thanks to the incredible generosity of Gvantsa's family, to within a few kilometers of the Turkish border, and not far from Armenia. Vartzia is an amazing and ancient clifftop and cliffside city which has housed Georgian Royalty, foreign invaders and served as a fortress and a home for devout Orthodox Christian monastics. We were able to tour the caves that compose thirty percent of what what remains of the ancient dwellings. The remainder has been claimed by earthquakes throughout the centuries. I do not have room here to tell you of all the places we experienced.

Orthodox Christianity was introduced to Georgia by Saint Nino in the fourth century! Gvantsa's mother's beautiful village church was built in 1046!!! We were able to visit many churches during our time in Georgia. Orthodoxy is truly at the very core of these amazing people. As is always the case with me, visiting these ancient, icon, flickering candle and incense filled churches packs me with peace and a sense of the holy.

Shelly will soon post pics for our time in Georgia at her blog.

I wanted to write this quick post. For those who know me well, I thank you for praying for me. While in Georgia, I began truly sleeping at night once more. I am so grateful for the rest these nights are affording me.

Well, after being 'hospitalitied' to infinity while in Kiev and Georgia (=stuffed full of food!), I'm trying to be careful with how I eat in Italy. Right!

Peace to you.